Mavaron's Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    2010-03-16

    Local beer in Hong Kong

    I suddenly get this question in my mind: why I haven't seen any locally brewed beer in HK? After googling, I find that there is indeed one local brewery:


    Though without any concreted numbers, I am sure beer consumption is high in HK, per capita. Only speaking of this, it seems to make perfect sense to run a business on this. However, the difficulty for a local brewery in HK may come from everywhere:

    1. Cost is high. It may not be economically sound to open a brewery at a place with high land rent and labor cost.

    2. Raw materials. Let alone hops and yeast. The other two key materials, barley and water, are not easy to find in HK. If it relies on import, the attractiveness would be reduced.

    3. Market competition. HK is a free market. Importers provide consumers here with hundreds of choices, at zero tax. A beer has to excel in one of the dimensions like brand image, cost or taste, to claim its own share in the competitive market.

    Anyway, I do see a chance here. There are answers to all the questions above. And the most important, is a passion for beer.

    没有评论: